For God Alone: This is my story! This is my song!

Tell me the story of Jesus, write on my heart every word;
Tell me the story most precious, sweetest that ever was heard!
Tell how the angels, in chorus, sang as they welcomed his birth,
“Glory to God in the highest! Peace and good tidings to earth.”
Tell me the story of Jesus, write on my heart every word;
Tell me the story most precious, sweetest that ever was heard!

Fanny J. Crosby, 1820-1915

Fanny Crosby wrote between 5,500 and 9,000 gospel songs. (She used some 200 pseudonyms to preserve her modesty.) Conversion, life transformation, and preservation of the saints are common themes of her texts: Rescue the Perishing; Blessed Assurance, Jesus Is Mine; To God Be the Glory; All the Way My Savior Leads Me; Praise Him! Praise Him!; I Am Thine, O Lord; Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior; Jesus Is Tenderly Calling; He Hideth My Soul; My Savior First of All (I Shall Know Him).

The Bible records countless stories of transformed lives in both the Old and New Testaments:

Ruth - 

But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the Lord do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.” 
(Ruth 1:16-17)

David - 

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice. Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right[b] spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.
(Psalm 51:1-12)

The Prodigal Son - 

And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.’” (Luke 15:31-32)

The Apostle Paul - 

But Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. Now as he went on his way, he approached Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven shone around him. And falling to the ground, he heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” And he said, “Who are you, Lord?” And he said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.” The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, hearing the voice but seeing no one. Saul rose from the ground, and although his eyes were opened, he saw nothing. So they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. And for three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor drank. But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem. And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name.” But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.” So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” And immediately something like scales fell from his eyes, and he regained his sight. Then he rose and was baptized; and taking food, he was strengthened.
(Acts 3:1-9, 13-19)

During the first half of my three years at Southwestern Seminary, I served the Piney Grove Baptist Church in Pittsburg as their minister of music and youth. Following Sunday evening worship in that little country church nestled within a grove of East Texas Pines, (hence, the name), I began my three-hour drive home to Ft. Worth. KRLD Radio kept me company - and awake - with the tape-delayed worship service from First Baptist Dallas, Moody Presents, and Billy Graham’s, The Hour of Decision. During the week, as I studied into the night, I often listened to Moody Radio’s Songs in the Night, the title of which was based on Job 35:10 (But none says, ‘Where is God my Maker, who gives songs in the night.). Hymns sung by beloved singers and choirs, and the familiar voice of Mike Kellogg were a comfort to my soul and spirit, even as I studied to prepare for a lifetime of ministry. George Beverly Shea (1909-2013) was one of those familiar voices that still delights my soul. The common theme of the many of Mr. Shea’s songs was redemption, many of which he composed or wrote: The Wonder of It All; I’d Rather Have Jesus; Sing Me a Song of Sharon’s Rose.

Sing me a song of Sharon’s Rose, fairest and sweetest flower that grows
In that fair land across the sea, emblem of Christ who died for me.

Sweet Rose of Sharon blooming for me, Jesus it is the emblem of Thee.
Beautiful Flower, fairest that grows; I’m glad I’ve found Thee, 
Sweet Sharon’s Rose.

Oft had I wandered o’er life’s like a lost sheep that had gone astray
Till one glad day I found repose, now in my heart blooms Sharon’s Rose.

Sweet Rose of Sharon blooming for me, Jesus it is the emblem of Thee.
Beautiful Flower, fairest that grows; I’m glad I’ve found Thee, 
Sweet Sharon’s Rose.

Sing Me a Song of Sharon’s Rose, George Beverly Shea

Sing Me a Song of Sharon’s Rose, Hale and Wilder

Today, take time to sing a song that tells the story of your own salvation, and give praise to the Lord for saving - and keeping you.

This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long!

Blessed Assurance, Fanny Crosby


Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord. (Acts 3:19-20a)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For God Alone

For God Alone: Jesus Paid It All

For God Alone: Renew Our Hearts