For God Alone - my ten-year lesson in gratitude

Today marks the conclusion of a decade of growing deeper through joy, contentment, as well as pain and sadness. On Monday, June 30, 2008, I drove into Tennessee to become Director of Music Ministries at Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Nashville. God had opened a door and pointed … east from our home in Frisco, Texas where, eighteen months earlier, I had begun serving as worship pastor at Stonebriar Community Church. While it had not been my plan to serve that pastor and congregation for such a brief time, it certainly was God’s plan.
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:28-31) 

The Lord Is the Everlasting God, Kenneth Jennings: https://youtu.be/geuljVnQO_w

As I drove through West and into Middle Tennessee that Monday in June of 2008, I discovered the breath-taking beauty that is the Volunteer State. A cool front had crossed this section of the country, rendering the sky a cobalt blue, and the daytime highs around 80 degrees. The lush deciduous forests on both north and south sides of I-40 were far better than a red carpet under my BMW convertible, and I think I even laughed out loud with glee a few times. Of course, now we have lived at the foothills of the Smoky Mountains going on seven years, and will happily testify that Tennessee reserves her most spectacular views and topography for the territory belonging to her Third Star! But, all in all, Tennessee is plum beautiful!

These past ten years have led this pilgrim on a pathway of discovery … and re-discovery, as I have learned to remain grateful to God in all circumstances. (Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18) Along the way, I have encountered men and women who have suffered immeasurable physical, emotional, and/or spiritual pain and loss. Many have grown deeply; sadly, some have not. These pilgrims have encouraged me with gracious, and, at times, challenging words. Yes, I, have failed, and will fail again many times on my journey. But, through it all, I thank God for the anvil of grace.

Two of the greatest joys over these years have been serving two wonderful congregations in music and worship ministry, Covenant Presbyterian in Nashville, and Central Baptist Bearden in Knoxville. While these congregations are different in many ways, each has offered Mary and me the joy and honor of continuing our faithful and obedient service to God and His people. We have made some wonderful music together: from Bach, Handel, Faure, Wood, Stanford, Holst, Vaughan Williams, Rutter, and Bradford, to Wilberg, Forrest, Hagenberg, Sorenson, Martin, Courtney, Curry, McDonald, and Fettke … and so many more. We have worshipped our Creator-Redeemer God in spirit and in truth each Sunday through a variety of music styles and expressions, and have presented a wide array of seasonal and occasional concerts. We have walked alongside both congregations and their pastors, Jim Bachmann and Wade Bibb, respectively, as they continue their unique journeys of building and transitioning, and we remain grateful to God alone for every endeavor offered to His everlasting glory. (Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness. Psalm 115:1) And, by God’s grace, we shall continue walking, journeying, and learning with Central Baptist for years yet to come!

The two beautiful houses in which we have lived these past ten years, the first in Green Hills, and our current home in west Knoxville, are added blessings from God, and for which Mary and I are humbly grateful. Under these roofs we have hosted many friends and family members for meals, laughter, and lots of story-telling.
A treasured (and serendipitous) gift granted me during our three-plus years in Nashville was the privilege of joining the music department of Lipscomb University as adjunct professor of music and worship. Partnering with the music faculty to teach courses in music history, church music, and worship was a grace gift for which I will ever be grateful to God.

Another joy has been sharing these years (and twenty-five more) with my beloved Mary. Our thirty-five-year marriage is a testimony to God’s grace and to the absolute faithful commitment we made to one another before our minister-dads, our family members, friends, and to God on June 4, 1983. Mary remains the perfect partner in life and in ministry for this pilgrim, and I could not be more grateful to God for the gift of her.

Perhaps the greatest lesson I have learned over and again is to rely more completely on the God of the first and second Covenants. God alone has provided hope through every circumstance, and His hand - not that of any man - has guided us and will carry and sustain us each and every day. (It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8). 

When peace like a river attendeth my way; when sorrow like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say it is well, it is well with my soul. (Horatio Spafford)

What can I give Him, poor as I am? If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb. If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part. Yet, what I can I give Him: give my heart. (Christina Rossetti)

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:16-17)

Soli Deo Gloria

© Paul R. Magyar, DMA, 2018





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For God Alone

For God Alone: Jesus Paid It All

For God Alone: Renew Our Hearts