For God Alone: The Bond of Love

We are one in the bond of love; we are one in the bond of love.
We have joined our spirits with the Spirit of God; we are one in the bond of love.

Otis Skillings penned these words in 1971, and his simple yet profound poem has been sung thousands of times in Christian communities since, frequently following a service that includes the Lord’s Supper.

Some three thousand years earlier, King David penned these words:

Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity! It is like the precious oil on the head, running down on the beard, on the beard of Aaron, running down on the collar of his robes! It is like the dew of Hermon, which falls on the mountains of Zion! For there the Lord has commanded the blessing, life forevermore. (Psalm 133)

King David was well acquainted with the divisions that can and often do exist within families and tribes. Therefore, he begins this Song of Ascents with: “Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!” 

In his classic commentary on the Psalms, The Treasury of David, Spurgeon writes: “It is a wonder seldom seen, therefore behold it! It may be seen, for it is the characteristic of real saints, therefore fail not to inspect it! It is well worthy of admiration; pause and gaze upon it! It will charm you into imitation, therefore note it well! God looks on with approval, therefore consider it with attention.”

When the world looks on the Body of Christ, they should see, above all, unity, because … we are one in the bond of love. 

As a young undergraduate student of church music and worship, I read through Baptist Hymnal 1975 entirely - in Ford Music Hall at OBU, playing every hymn tune, and thoroughly studying each hymn text. In so doing, God showed this pilgrim many profound biblical and theological truths. One of the hymns I learned during these years of intense study and growth was Christian Hearts, in Love United, a hymn from the Moravian Brethren tradition, a Christian pietist movement that was partly founded and largely funded by Nicolaus L. von Zinzendorf (1700-1760), who ultimately authored some 2000 hymns. This hymn beautifully defines the unity that should pervade every aspect of the Body of Christ.

Christian hearts, in love united, seek alone in Jesus rest;
Has He not your love excited? Then let love inspire each breast.
Members on our Head depending, lights reflecting Him, our Sun,
Brethren his commands attending, we in Him, our Lord, are one.

Come, then, come, O flock of Jesus, covenant with Him anew;
Unto Him who conquered for us, pledge we love and service true;
And should our love’s union holy firmly linked no more remain,
Wait ye at His footstool lowly, till He draw it close again.

Grant, Lord, that with Thy direction, “Love each other,” we comply,
Aiming with unfeigned affection Thy love to exemplify;
Let our mutual love be glowing, thus will all men plainly see,
That we, as on one stem growing, living branches are in Thee.

O that such may be our union, as Thine with the Father is,
And not one of our communion e’er forsake the path of bliss;
May our light ‘fore men with brightness, from Thy light reflected, shine;
Thus the world will bear us witness, that we, Lord, are truly Thine.

Nicolaus L. von Zinzendorf, 1723, translated, Frederick W. Foster, 1789.

Living in unity is difficult! (Can I get an Amen?!?) God placed this pilgrim in a family of eight people (ocho personas), which translates we all pretty much abdicated our individual rights for complete control of space, time, and, well, everything! But, lest you think I was deprived, I was anything but deprived of … anything! Ours was a great, even model home of love, care, and nurture for one another and others. Our parents, John and Joyce, modeled tender hearts of submission to the Father’s will, the Person of Christ, and the Spirit of God. (And Jesus said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23). Complete submission is not easy, but it is an absolute must for the follower of Christ. No exceptions.

This is my desire to honor You; Lord, with all my heart I worship You.
All I have within me, I give You praise. All that I adore is in You.

Lord, I give You my heart, I give You my soul; I live for you alone
And every breath that I take, every moment I'm awake,
Lord, have Your way in me.

I Give You My Heart, Hillsong

By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35) May God make of our hearts of stone soft, pliable, and true hearts of flesh.

Christian Hearts, in Love United, hymn

I Give You My Heart, Hillsong

© Paul R. Magyar, 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For God Alone

For God Alone: Jesus Paid It All

For God Alone: Renew Our Hearts