A New Day: Earth's Grand Pause

A New Day: Earth's Grand Pause

The World has slowed to a near stand-still. Businesses large and small, institutions of every level of learning, churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, airports, and all mass transit systems have been silenced, frozen as humanity hunkers down in homes with loved ones in every country, and on every continent of planet Earth. It is as though the Earth has provided a Grand Pause* in life, forcing humankind to stop in mid tracks, mid sentence, mid … to reassess … Every. Single. Priority. 

How do you feed your mind, your body, and your soul? I pray you regularly read, meditate upon, and memorize God’s word, the Holy Bible.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures. 
He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
The Twenty-Third Psalm (ESV)

During my twelve years as music/worship pastor at Tallowood Baptist Church in Houston, Texas, one of our hymn texts was The Hymnal for Worship and Celebration. Always eager to include thoughtful texts paired with singable tunes like the Welsh tune, HYFRYDOL, I placed Lavish Love, Abundant Beauty before the Tallowood congregation. Read - and savor this text. Then, re-read it a few times.

Lavish love, abundant beauty, gracious gifts for heart and hand,
Life that fills the soul and senses, all burst forth at Your command.
Lord, our Lord, Eternal Father, Great Creator, God and Friend,
Boundless power gave full expression to Your love which knows no end.

Who am I that You should love me, meet my every need from birth?
Why invest Yourself so fully in a creature made of earth?
In Your loving heart You planned me, fashioned me with greatest care;
Through my soul You breathed Your Spirit, planted Your own image there.

I am Yours, Eternal Father, all my body, mind, and heart.
Take and use me to Your glory, form Yourself in every part.
Lord, Your love brings joy and gladness flowing forth within my soul.
May my very breath and being rise to You, their source and goal.
(Peter Ellis, 1986)

Over the past days, social media platforms have brought into our homes beautiful music from famous musicians (Yo-Yo Ma, Voces8, Andrew Lloyd Webber, PMJ); conductor/composer/singer professionals (Jay, Ola, Ryan, James, Alex, Keith, Kristyn, Matt, Allen, Dan, Mary, Craig), minister-musicians (Jorge, Sandra, Philip, Scott, Letha, Dave and Jess, Mike, Carlos, John and Beth, Trey, Shellie, David, James, Barbara), and, crooners young and old (you know who you are). All of these and more have encouraged countless hungry souls like this pilgrim's with beautiful music of every style, and poetry, high and low.

Even when He is silent … is a piece for SATB choir, a cappella, and was written by Norwegian composer, Kim Andre Arnesen (b. 1980). Regarding this work, Mr. Arnesen’s website (kimarnesen.com) informs the following: This is a work about hope in the darkest time of life. The text was written by a prisoner in Cologne, Germany, during World War II.

I believe in the sun, even when it's not shining
I believe in love, even when I feel it not
I believe in God, even when He is silent*

Remember the advice of my (missionary) Uncle Jim Oliver to "take time to smell the roses." Well, reading God’s word each day, and basking in manifold forms and styles of music is essential during these days. May your life be filled with the fragrant aroma of each, and may God’s Spirit breathe new breath into all of our tired, weary, and, yes, anxious souls.

God bless you, and have a good day!
Paul
Psalm One

*Grand Pause is a musical term meaning to rest indefinitely.
*Even When He Is Silent (Kim Andre Arnesen) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYwYMngq4II

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For God Alone

For God Alone: Jesus Paid It All

For God Alone: Renew Our Hearts