A New Day: If my people ...

This past Sunday, I joined our Bridge Builders Sunday School class for fellowship and Bible study. How encouraging to see the faces of some of our members (some 30 or so) via ZOOM, and hear their teacher, Dennis Parrott teach from God’s word. During his lesson, Dennis mentioned a verse that is dear to most of us, and certainly to this pilgrim, who learned it singing Jimmy Owens’ setting in the 1970’s, If My People.*

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14, KJV)

Dennis mentioned that this verse is a favorite of one of the class’s members, whose name is Mack. Upon hearing Dennis make this statement, a light came on in my head and heart. For the past year-plus, each first Tuesday of the month, I have joined a group of twenty or so faithful men for a prayer breakfast at Southern Recipes Grill in Plano, just a few miles north of First Baptist Richardson.

Now, I need to make a disclaimer as a sidebar: today, March 31, I complete one full year - twelve months - making better health choices. As a result, I have lost fifty pounds, and quite a few inches, all thanks to our daughter, Anna, my sister, Kim, and Mary, who purchased the first box of product - for my 59th birthday! (Nice gift, right?) So, each first Tuesday when I meet with these men, I order a bowl of oatmeal, black coffee, and a cup of water, even though the name of this eating establishment is SOUTHERN RECIPES GRILL. (Insert smiley face here.)

Now, back to my story: one of the faithful prayer breakfast participants is my friend, Mack. Each month, Mack exhorts all present to pray for our leaders: national, state, and local government leaders, and the leaders of our church. He also petitions his Sunday School class to do the same. Now, dear reader, over the years, I have attended countless (as in, far too many to count) Bible studies, prayer meetings of all kinds, and worship services in which men and women place their respective petitions before the gathered assembly. And, as you can imagine, these sincere petitions have been as varied as the colors of the rainbow. However, in all my years, I have never heard one man make the same petition - each and every meeting. But, my friend Mack does. Every. Single. Time.

The prayer of a righteous man availeth much, if it be fervent.
(James 5:16b, 1599 Geneva Bible)

Last Fall, I visited Mack and his wife in their home. As we talked, I learned some of their family’s story, which, like every family, includes many joys, as well as great loss and deep sorrow. However, this dear couple has grown deep and strong roots through their years of life. It is the kind of deep and abiding strength one detects in the eye and the voice: gentle, but rock solid in faith and trust in God. My visit with Mack and Ann was sweet and affirming, similar to the myriad of other visits I have made since joining the staff of First Baptist Richardson; and there have been many - and, Lord willing, many more yet to come. At the end of our visit, Mack led me to their family library, where he showed me a long shelf of books by one of my favorite author-preachers, Chuck Swindoll. Mack then invited me to select one of Chuck’s books as a gift, which I gratefully did. (Great Lives from God’s Word: David, Volume One). This book will remain a treasure in my library, not so much because of the author, whose many contributions to the Kingdom of God are well known, but because of the giver of the gift that day, my friend Mack, who always prays for all leaders, including this pilgrim.

A prayer I have loved singing through the years was penned by Charles Wesley (1707-1788).

Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high:
Hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none; hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, O leave me not alone, still support and comfort me:
All my trust on Thee is stayed, all my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head with the shadow of Thy wing.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want; more than all in Thee I find:
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, heal the sick and lead the blind:
Just and holy is Thy name, I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am, Thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with Thee is found, grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound; make and keep me pure within:
Thou of life the fountain art, freely let me take of Thee;
Spring Thou up within my heart, rise to all eternity.**

I pray that I, like David, will always be known to my children as a man after God’s own heart. Thank you, friend Mack, for your faithful prayers.

God bless you, and have a good day!
Paul
2 Chronicles 7:13-14

*If My People, Jimmy Owens, arr. Keith Christopher

**Jesus, Lover of My Soul, (Simeon Marsh, 1798-1875), arr. Michael Cox (b. 1948)
Tallowood Baptist Church Adult Choir, Paul R. Magyar, conductor

© Paul R. Magyar, DMA, 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For God Alone

For God Alone: Jesus Paid It All

For God Alone: Renew Our Hearts