For God Alone: The Song of Renewal

Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may one from the presence of the Lord. (Acts 3:19-20a)

Yesterday morning, our pastor preached a sermon on Isaiah 40:1-31. He called the fortieth chapter of Isaiah one of the greatest chapters of the Bible, a statement with which I completely resonate. Pastor Ellis’s theme for his final Lenten sermon was Renewal, a consistent theme that runs through the Bible. Those of us who have heard countless sermons, and who are faithful students of the Bible will readily agree with this claim. Pastor and author, Ray Ortlund, Jr. subtitled his commentary on Isaiah: God Loves Sinners. And, indeed, He does!

Pastor Ellis described how God’s plan for renewal, brokenness, and repentance, is found throughout the entire word of God: Adam and Eve, Cain and Able, Noah, Jacob and Esau, Joseph, and Moses. Job sings a song of renewal even when his body is covered with disease: For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will stand upon the earth. (Job 19:25)

King David calls God his Shepherd who restores his soul (Psalm 23). David also sings his song of confession in Psalm 51:

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.
(Psalm 51:10-12)

In the penultimate chapter of the Bible, Revelation 21, a frail and aging John records the words of Jesus who said: I am making everything new. (Revelation 21:5)

Pastor Ellis called renewal … The Story of the Bible.
Amen and Amen!

As evangelicals, you and I have sung hymns and songs of repentance in most of our worship services and revival meetings throughout all of our lives.

Just as I am without one plea, but that Thy blood was shed for me.
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee, O, Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, and waiting not to rid my soul of one dark blot.
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot, O, Lamb of God, I come. I Come.

I come broken to be mended, I come wounded to be healed.
I come desperate to be rescued, I come empty to be filled
I come guilty to be pardoned by the blood of Christ the Lamb,
And I’m welcomed with open arms, praise God, just as I am.

Just as I am, I would be lost, but mercy and grace my freedom bought.
And now to glory in your cross, O, Lamb of God, I come. I come.

I come broken to be mended, I come wounded to be healed.
I come desperate to be rescued, I come empty to be filled
I come guilty to be pardoned by the blood of Christ the Lamb,
And I’m welcomed with open arms, praise God, just as I am.

Just As I Am/I Come Broken (Travis Cottrell)

The final verses of Isaiah chapter 40 explode in a burst of brilliant energy, an energy that has been captured in countless pieces of music. 

Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
his understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint,
and to him who has no might he increases strength.
Even youths shall faint and be weary,
and young men shall fall exhausted;
but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint.
(Isaiah 40:28-31)

Kenneth Jennings, conductor of the world famous St. Olaf Choir from 1968-1990, composed a piece called The Lord Is the Everlasting God. I have placed this piece before my choirs, and have carried its beautiful music and text through some of my life’s most challenging days. Take a moment and listen to the entire piece. For many of you, the first half of the piece may seem quite mysterious, even a bit unsettling; however, please keep listening, and allow God’s word to wash over you through this amazing piece of music.

The Lord Is the Everlasting God, Kenneth Jennings

What will you do this day, even as we continue our journey through Holy Week? I pray we will each seek God with all our heart, and openly confess our sin to Him. 

Today, if you would hear God’s voice, do not harden your heart as at the rebellion.
(Psalm 95:8-9; Hebrews 3:7-9)

Through the prophet Jeremiah, God promises that, if we seek Him, we will find Him.

You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.
(Jeremiah 29:13)

Following the crossing of the Red Sea, God’s leader of His people, Moses, opens his triumphant song of delivery with these words:

I will sing to the LORD, for he has triumphed gloriously;
the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.
The LORD is my strength and my song,
and he has become my salvation;
this is my God, and I will praise him,
my father’s God, and I will exalt him.
(Exodus 15:1-2)

I pray the timeless song of Moses will be our song as well, even as we rise from our knees, having poured out our hearts and souls to God in brokenness and confession, and knowing His complete forgiveness and cleansing once again. Indeed, God loves and forgives sinners like you and me, and He is constantly leading us toward renewal. Even now.

God bless you, and have a good day.
Paul
I John 1:9

© 2020, Paul R. Magyar, DMA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For God Alone

For God Alone: Jesus Paid It All

For God Alone: Renew Our Hearts