For God Alone: Come and See!

One of my favorite classes at Southwestern Seminary was a course called Jesus and Personal Evangelism, which Dr. Roy Fish taught. Dr. Fish required only one text, The Great Physician by G. Campbell Morgan, a noted British evangelist, preacher, and author from a few generations ago. I will never forget the day we turned to Chapter Three in The Great Physician in which Dr. Morgan discussed the call Jesus extended to Andrew as found in John 1:35-41.

Again, the next day, John stood with two of his disciples. And looking at Jesus as He walked, he said, “Behold the Lamb of God!” The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus. Then Jesus turned, and seeing them following, said to them, “What do you seek?” They said to Him, “Rabbi” (which is to say, when translated, Teacher), “where are You staying?” He said to them, “Come and see.” They came and saw where He was staying, and remained with Him that day (now it was about the tenth hour). One of the two who heard John speak, and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. He first found his own brother Simon, and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which is translated, the Christ).
(John 1:35-41, NKJV)

I can still see Dr. Fish saying: “Come and see!” And then, with great enthusiasm and eloquent execution, Dr. Fish preached (yes, preached) for an hour on the impact those three words - Come, and see - had on Andrew. Andrew’s immediate response to just three simple words was to go and find his brother, Simon Peter, and say to him: We have found the Messiah!

Those words from John Chapter One, from The Great Physician, Chapter Three - and Dr. Roy Fish’s eloquent sermon/lesson that Spring afternoon at Southwestern Seminary remain emblazoned on this pilgrim’s heart and my mind to this very day!

Come and See! … We have found the Messiah!

Many of you are familiar with the hymn, Open My Eyes that I May See (Clara H. Scott, 1895). These words seem appropriate as we reflect on these three words of the Savior to Andrew, and to us on this New Day.

Open my eyes that I may see glimpses of truth thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key that shall unclasp, and set me free:
Silently now I wait for thee, ready, my God, thy will to see;
Open my eyes illumine me, Spirit divine!

Open my ears that I may hear voices of truth thou sendest clear;
And while the wave-notes fall on my ear, everything false will disappear:
Silently now I wait for thee, ready, my God, thy will to see;
Open my ears, illumine me, Spirit divine!

Open my mouth and let me bear gladly the warm truth everywhere;
Open my heart, and let me prepare love with thy children thus to share:
Silently now I wait for thee, ready, my God, thy will to see;
Open my heart, illumine me, Spirit divine!

Earlier this week, I shared (part) of my testimony with you (A New Day, April 13), and asked you to share your testimony with me either in writing, or, someday soon, over a cup of coffee. Some of you have already sent your personal testimony to me, which I enjoyed reading. Others have placed yours on FaceBook for your readers to see. I pray we will all share - so that others may see Jesus in us.

Ken Medema is a poet-musician of our time who has spoken much truth to the Church and to Christ-followers around the Globe. One of my favorite “Ken songs” is a piece he called, I Saw You, published and recorded forty years ago.

I saw You in the darkness, I saw You, You were looking for me;
When You turned Your light on, well my poor blind eyes began to see.
I heard You in the silence, I heard You, and You were singing a song;
When I heard the Music I just had to come and sing along.

I know so many times I’ve seen You before; so many times I’ve heard Your voice.
Seems like this time there was something much more;
This was the time I made my choice - to follow You.

I know You in the light now, I know You, and I’m beginning to see -
That You’re opening my eyes and You are making a song out of me.
You’re making a song out of me.

I Saw You, Ken Medema (1980)


Then Elisha prayed and said, “O Lord, please open his eyes that he may see.” So the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. (2 Kings 6:17)


For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:6)

I pray that you will Open Your Eyes to the Savior this day, and see all that He has for you … just today. Lord, I’m yours, I’ll follow: Lead the Way*

*Lead the Way, Ken Medema

Jesus, Lover of My Soul, Ken Medema, music, Charles Wesley, words

Lord, Listen to Your Children Praying, Ken Medema

© Paul R. Magyar, DMA, 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For God Alone

For God Alone: Jesus Paid It All

For God Alone: Renew Our Hearts