For God Alone: Love One Another

Fairest Lord Jesus; Ruler of all nature, O Thou of God and man the Son.
Thee will I cherish; Thee will I honor, Thou my soul’s glory, joy, and crown.

Fair are the meadows; fairer still the woodlands, robed in the blooming garb of spring;
Jesus is fairer; Jesus is purer, who makes the woeful heart to sing.

Fair is the sunshine; fairer still the moonlight and all the twinkling story host. 
Jesus shines brighter; Jesus shines purer than all the angels heaven can boast.

Beautiful Savior! Lord of the nations! Son of God and Son of man!
Glory and honor, praise, adoration, now and forevermore be Thine!*

Anonymous German hymn, Munster Gesangbuch, 1677


Beautiful Savior, arr. Wilberg


Last evening at sundown was the beginning of Passover, the Jewish holiday commemorating God’s liberating His people, the Israelites, from slavery in Egypt. Passover is one of three Pilgrimage Festivals during which the Hebrew people traveled from all parts of Judah to the Temple in Jerusalem. The Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120 - 134) were recited by the pilgrims on their respective journeys. Just as today is part of the Feast of Passover, it is also Maundy (or Holy) Thursday, and is, itself, a sacred holiday for Christians. In great detail, John tells the story of the events surrounding this Passover meal which Jesus shared with his disciples; Jesus washed his disciples’ feet, and, then, following the Passover meal, Jesus instituted what we call the Lord’s Supper. 

In 1st Corinthians 11:23-26, the Apostle Paul confirms this practice:

For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body, which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

During their final Passover meal, Jesus challenged his twelve disciples to serve one another and others, and to remember him each time they met to break the bread and drink the cup. Then, John records another command Jesus gave to his disciples, (mandate, from the Latin, mandatum):

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

Today, as we begin the final days of Holy Week, let’s remember the commands of Jesus: to love one another; to serve one another; and, as his followers, his disciples, having confessed Him as Savior and Lord, and baptized into the Family of God, to observe this sacred meal and remember his sacrifice for us, and for all who would confess him Lord and Savior.

Some forty years ago, Melody (Mrs. Keith) Green wrote There Is a Redeemer, a song that has been published in many hymnals, and has now become part of our regular worship vocabulary. It is a song I have often programmed during Maundy Thursday services, and a personal favorite.

There is a Redeemer, Jesus, God’s own Son;
Precious Lamb of God, Messiah, Holy One.

Jesus, my Redeemer, name above all names;
Precious Lamb of God, Messiah, Hope for sinners slain.

When I stand in Glory, I will see His face;
There I’ll serve my King forever in that holy place.

Thank You, O my Father, for giving us Your Son,
And leaving Your Spirit till the work on earth is done.*

There Is a Redeemer, Melody Green, 1982

© Paul R. Magyar, DMA, 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For God Alone

For God Alone: Jesus Paid It All

For God Alone: Renew Our Hearts