For God Alone: The Music of the Spheres

Recently, our congregation sang This Is My Father’s World in worship. Rev. Maltbie D. Babcock, (1858-1901), a Presbyterian minister in New York and Maryland, wrote this hymn text, just one of many he wrote during his short lifetime. Not only is this a worthy poem with solid theology, it is set to a good melody with singable harmonic and rhythmic structures.

This is my Father’s world, and to my listening ears
All nature sings and round me rings the music of the spheres.
This is my Father’s world, I rest me in the thought,
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas; His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father’s world, the birds, their carols raise;
The morning light, the lily white declare their Maker’s praise!
This is my Father’s world, He shines in all that’s fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass, He speaks to me ev’rywhere.

This is my Father’s world, O let me ne’er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the Ruler yet.
This is my Father’s world, the battle is not done;
Jesus who died shall be satisfied, and earth and heaven be one.

A few years ago, while ‘thumbing’ through the worldwide web, I discovered several articles on music composers and their compositions by Southern Theological Seminary president, Dr. Albert Mohler. In one article, published in 2006, in which Mohler lauded the musical genius of Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750), he wrote: 

Bach was first and foremost a church musician 
whose faith and theology are inseparable from his music. 

J. S. Bach’s enduring legacy as one of history’s greatest church musicians would likely have resulted otherwise had he been hired for more prestigious positions he sought throughout his career. As one scholar put it, Bach the musician was indeed "a Christian who lived with the Bible." Besides being the Baroque era's greatest organist and composer, and one of the most productive geniuses in the history of Western music, Bach was also a theologian who just happened to work with a keyboard.

If you are not familiar with what is generally considered Bach’s magnum opus, listen/view the following video of the final movement of his Mass in B Minor.

Dona Nobis Pacem
from B Minor Mass, J. S. Bach
Monteverdi Choir, John Eliot Gardner, conductor

Yesterday, during my afternoon walk/run through our neighborhood, I smelled the fragrances of flowers and trees, and relished in the songs of birds, and of summertime breezes as they rustled the lush greenery of oak, maple, cypress, and cedar. This morning, I awoke to the sound of thunder as storms rolled across north central Texas skies. Ah, the music of the spheres!

It has been my privilege to minister alongside pastors who love music, and even some who truly value music as art; in particular, Daniel Vestal and Duane Brooks, both at Tallowood Baptist Church in Houston, TX, Chuck Swindoll at Stonebriar Community Church in Frisco, TX, and Jim Bachmann at Covenant Presbyterian Church in Nashville, TN. To my delight, each of these ministers frequently cited music of all kinds in their sermons. Music that inspires not only the heart, but the mind as well is music that lasts through the ages. On the other hand, music and poetry that move the heart but lack breadth and depth usually last for a season, and are then replaced by something else. Both have their place and their use.

In the lightening flash across the sky His mighty pow’r I see;
And I know if He can reign on high, His light can shine on me.

I’ve seen it in the lightning, heard it in the thunder, and felt it in the rain;
My Lord is near me all the time, my Lord is near me all the time.

When the thunder shakes the mighty hills and trembles ev’ry tree,
Then I know a God so great and strong can surely harbor me.

I’ve seen it in the lightning, heard it in the thunder, and felt it in the rain;
My Lord is near me all the time, my Lord is near me all the time.

When refreshing showers cool the earth and sweep across the sea,
Then His rainbow shines within my heart, His nearness comforts me.

I’ve seen it in the lightning, heard it in the thunder, and felt it in the rain;
My Lord is near me all the time, my Lord is near me all the time.

My Lord Is Near Me All the Time
words and music, Barbara Fowler Gaultney (1935-1976)
©1960 Broadman Press/Genevox Music Group

Cliff Barrows and the Victor Voices singing Billy Graham’s Crusade Favorites

Following is a familiar tune, O Sole Mio, beautifully played on the theremin by Katica Illenyi, famed Hungarian violinist, singer, dancer, and theremin player. Talk about the music of the spheres!

O Sole Mio, Katica Illenyi, theremin player

Perhaps you are familiar with the inspirational text, Down from His Glory, paired with this melody.

Down from His Glory - Charles Billingsley

O how I love Him! How I adore Him!
My breath, my sunshine, my all in all!
The great Creator became my Savior,
And all God's fullness dwelleth in Him!

Down from His glory, ever living story,
My God and Savior came - and Jesus was His name!
Born in a manger to His own a stranger,
A Man of sorrows, tears and agony.

O how I love Him! How I adore Him!
My breath, my sunshine, my all in all!
The great Creator became my Savior,
And all God's fullness dwelleth in Him!

What condescension, bringing us redemption,
That in the dead of night, not one faint hope in sight.
God, gracious, tender, laid aside His splendor;
Stooping to woo, to win, to save my soul!

O how I love Him! How I adore Him!
My breath, my sunshine, my all in all!
The great Creator became my Savior,
And all God's fullness dwelleth in Him!

William E. Booth-Clibborn (1893-1969)

God made all things, including the vessels we engage to convey the worship we offer Him, languages of speech and of music. Today and every day, offer to God a song of praise, for … it is good to sing praises to our God; for it is pleasant, and a song of praise is fitting. (Psalm 147:1). In so doing, you will add your voice to the eternal music of the spheres!

Oh sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth! Sing to the Lord, bless his name; tell of his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples! (Psalm 96:1-3)

© Paul R. Magyar, DMA, 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For God Alone

For God Alone: Jesus Paid It All

For God Alone: Renew Our Hearts