For God Alone: Give Thanks to God!

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. (Romans 5:1-5)

In this passage, the Apostle Paul points us to what Jack MacGorman calls the ‘marvelous consequences of our justification’ in Christ. Like the Apostle Paul, you and I have been tested and stretched in ways we could never have imagined; but, our Shepherd-Savior who is our all in all of everything leads us on our respective journeys.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23:1-6)

My Shepherd Will Supply My Need, arr. Virgil Thompson

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
(Philippians 2:5-11)

The Mind of Christ, Mark Hayes, Gary Bonner Singers

Those who follow Jesus learn time and again to be grateful, and express that gratitude in tangible ways. Just yesterday afternoon, a member of our congregation placed a gift of love on our front doorstep. That gift brought a smile to Mary’s heart and to mine. Thank you!

In the early 1970’s, Bob Oldenburg, who wrote Good News! introduced me to Dan Burgess’s song, Thank You, Lord. Dan’s song, based on Romans 5:3-5, resonated with my young heart and spirit, and it became part of my worship vocabulary for many years. A few years ago, Dan Burgess gathered two well known Christian artist-musicians, Cynthia Clawson and Brian Mann, in a Nashville studio to record some of his pieces, including Thank You, Lord.

Thank you, Lord, for the trials that come my way,
In that way I can grow each day as I let You lead.
And, thank You, Lord, for the patience those trials bring,
In that process of growing I can learn to care.

But it goes against the way I am to put my human nature down,
And let the Spirit take control of all I do.
For when those trials come my human nature shouts the thing to do,
And God’s soft prompting can be easily ignored.

I thank You, Lord, with each trial I feel inside,
That You’re there to help lead and guide me away from wrong.
For You promised, Lord, that with every testing,
That Your way of escaping’s easier to bear.

But it goes against the way I am to put my human nature down,
And let the Spirit take control of all I do.
For when those trials come my human nature shouts the thing to do,
And God’s soft prompting can be easily ignored.

I thank You, Lord, for the victory that growing brings,
In surrender of everything life is so worth while.
And, I thank You, Lord, that when everything’s put in place -
Out in front, I can see Your face, and it’s there You belong.

Thank You, Lord, Dan Burgess, Cynthia Clawson, Brian Mann

On this new day, offer your thanks to God - for gifts left on porches, and for trials, including the trial of this present season. And, never forget that you are loved!

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble. 
(Psalm 107:1-2)

By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For God Alone

For God Alone: Jesus Paid It All

For God Alone: Renew Our Hearts